Friday, January 24, 2014

Redefinition #1

One of my redefinition isn't really one. It's an update on an old one I had for a long time that I let slip a little. It actually came to me while I typing an earlier post on this blog about what to do. My sister had mentioned that a friend of ours was doing it years ago, and my husband and I had talked about a few times but now, it's go time! I'm committed.

Starting on Monday, I will be swimming with the adult swim team in the area. I swam competitively for about 10 years growing up. I swam on a summer league team, in various clinics and on the high school team. I also taught swim lessons for 5 summers and life guarded. The pool is my second home. It relaxes me and rejuvenates me. The reason I hadn't joined in the last few years was twofold. One, I didn't feel I could focus on it and give it the time commitment that it needed because of work. Second, I was scared. I told myself, that I will join the Master's Team when I feel fit enough, like I was in high school. Ha! That's a good one. What an excuse. When I was at my peak I was swimming 10 months out of the year, 5 days a week for an hour or two. So yeah, working full time and married, sure I was going to get "back into shape" and "swimming like I was in high school" by walking to the teacher's lounge and "swimming" aka taking a break after every four laps for 45 minutes.

So what changed? Why all of a sudden did I commit? After having the baby, I want to, like any other woman, lose the baby weight and that won't happen if I keep eating those chocolate chips I have stashed away and walking through Target every other day. Another reason is, it really isn't that hard. I don't have to learn a new skill. I know the strokes, dives, lingo etc. It should be just like riding a bike. (We'll see how well that goes after Monday's practice.) Swimming is something that I love. It's soothing and strengthening all at the same time. When I read about the purpose of the team there were a few things that stood out to me. One was that it doesn't matter why you're there. You could be training for a triathlon, or just wanting to work out and have a coach there to guide you. There's no pressure. The second aspect that stood out to me is that you can compete. I loved competing. That's my goal too. I want to get into shape and compete again. James has actually never seen me swim. We've splashed around at the pool a few times but he's never seen me really swim. I'm excited for that. I think it will give him another glimpse into who I am.

This is for me. I think that's the biggest reason why I chose to do this now. It's me time. I don't have to worry about anyone or anything else for an hour. Yes, the exercise gets me eating better and healthier which has a long term impact for everybody in the family. But every other day, I get to go to the pool and I'm excited about it. I don't have to feel guilty for taking time out for me because every woman needs time out for herself and this is mine.

I can hardly wait for Monday. I might feel differently after practice; so maybe I should read this again when I get home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment